Monday 6 August 2012

Common characteristics of the Bengal cat


The reason for choosing Bengal cross kittens over any other breed of domestic kittens was simple. They are truly beautiful animals and have the most stunning markings I have ever seen. Once I had made the commitment to buying our beautiful kittens, I did a lot of reading up on what they were like as pets. Pedro and Lola have been with us now for nearly four months and I can honestly say that our home would not be the same without them.

Whilst the personality and characteristics of the Bengal are quite distinctive, it is worth noting that all cats personalities are formed by many factors including their genetic heritage, socialization and living conditions whilst growing up. The Bengal’s unique heritage and intense breeding programs have produced many cats with very pronounced personalities and unusual behavioral patterns.



  
General personality

In the short time we have had Pedro and Lola it is clear to see that they have a lot of personality. Bengal’s are classed as highly intelligent, lively, interactive cats and are more like part of the family than actual pets. Pedro has a very split personality whereby he can be wild, boisterous and very destructive one minute and the next minute he will be the most loving, affectionate, cuddly boy you’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. Lola on the other hand is gentle, loving, quiet and slightly shy at times. She also has a very playful side and does well to stay on her feet when Pedro is in play mode. Lola is definitely the more intelligent of the two but that is to be expected!

 
Amazing athletes

Bengal’s are also well known for their athletic ability. Pedro especially charges around like nothing I have ever seen before. They climb cupboards, doors and can leap to heights I would not expect at the size they are. They both seem to really like height and won’t think twice about jumping on to my shoulder if they think they are missing out on something. They both pounce about like gazelles… usually when I am tucked up in bed which is very entertaining to watch most of the time, Lola is already jumping up on to the door handles in a desperate bid to escape but fortunately she is a little light at the moment. When they are both in play mode they perform some very strange movements whereby the arch their backs and hop sideways in what can only be described as a crab like fashion.
 
Big softies

When they are not behaving like terrorists they are complete and utter softies. Pedro will often lie on his back in my arms in the evening and Lola is never very far away. In the morning I am often woken up by one of them rubbing their faces against mine, purring wildly. They both crave affection and spend several hours in the evening cuddled up to either myself or my other half, sleeping peacefully.




Attracted to water

I remember reading that Bengal’s love water and I didn’t quite believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. We cannot do the washing up without Pedro being at the sink, sticking his paws in, splashing water everywhere. When I am in the shower, they are usually at the door trying to work out how they can get in. We have a pond in our garden so I am dreading what antics they will get up to once they start going outside.
 
Almost a full time job

Despite the fact Pedro and Lola are only cross breeds, they display all of the characteristics that I have read about. It is very rewarding owning such an incredible breed of cat, but it can be hard work at times. I often think children would be less hard work than these two but I would change them for the world. I am on my feet several times a night removing them from places they shouldn’t be, rescuing my houseplants and generally checking they aren’t doing anything too naughty but they are an absolute joy.



Owning a Bengal is certainly not something you should commit to if your looking for a low maintenance pet, so if your considering owning this unique breed, I strongly recommend doing you research first!

2 comments: